Shutting down Windows PC via MetaCard

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Wed Feb 12 13:25:01 EST 2003

> I guess the subject line pretty much says it all. I'm a teacher and run some
> stack for my students to use. Today as we finished up, I thought it would be
> nice to press a button and turn all the machines (or selected ones) off
> without physically moving (save those calories!)
>
> Anyone know how to do it? I imagine it would be some "shell" command

I can't speak about *shutting down* specifically, but I'd guess you could
face the same issues we did with *restarting* Windows.

In an installer project of ours, we had the need to restart Windows when the
process was completed.  After searching the Web and asking developer
colleagues, we determined that restarting is a significant chore if you have
to support all the versions of Windows since the processes are all different
(and prone to problems).  Our solution was to use a 3rd party installer
building package (Wise Installer) to build a small exe whose sole purpose
was to initiate a restart.  I would recommend this route over trying to
solve all issues associated with the various versions.

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director

Tactile Media, Multimedia & Design