Forced to use Applescript

Simon Lord slord at videotron.ca
Mon Feb 10 06:01:08 EST 2003

Actually this is a bad idea under OSX.  Even though this is a perfect
solution for copying some files, many files and applications in OSX
still have resource info attached to them.  I'm stuck with 5gigs of
data that I am slowly resurrecting by reseting the file creators etc.
(no backup).

Anyhow, if you want to use the command line to copy files around, a
PERFECTLY SOUND solution as Brian points out, you need to use the
following command instead:

ditto -rsrcFork /Users /Volumes/OtherPartition/Users

Do a man on ditto to learn more.

On Thursday, February 6, 2003, at 02:42 PM, Yennie at aol.com wrote:

> Why not use shell() on OS X?
>
> get shell("cp -R /MyFolder/MyApp.app /AnotherFolder/MyAppCopy.app")
>
> Brian
>
>   The only thing that didn't work using native MetaCard routines in
> OSX was
> copying the 'Mach-O' resource from an '.app' package. There was some
> kind of
> corruption going on, and I couldn't track it down any further than to
> the
> Metacard engine itself.

Sincerely,
Simon