binary read/write movie

Rodney Tamblyn rodneytamblyn at paradise.net.nz
Sun Feb 9 07:37:00 EST 2003

I need to use binary read to transfer some files (mainly smallish
quicktime movies) to a database.  I'm aware of all the pluses and
minuses of putting large binary files in blobs within databases, and
for the application I have in mind this is the best approach.  I'm
using Valentina DB.

My question is what is the best way to read this sort of file?  Assume
a movie file of 3Mb which I need to add to the database.   Using binary
read you can specify unit types (int1,uint1,int2,uint2,int4,uint4), but
I'm not sure if I should use one of these (uint4?).  I imagine I'll
want to repetitively read a portion of the file then write to DB to
avoid any potential memory issues.

If anyone has an example script they can share that would be great,
otherwise I'll experiment tomorrow and find solution on my own...

Rodney

--
Rodney Tamblyn
44 Melville St