Norton Internet Security (NIS) and Post failure

Tariel Gogoberidze PMDA at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 7 23:27:00 EST 2003

>From: andu <undo at cloud9.net>
> Subject: Re: Norton Internet Security (NIS) and Post failure

>I think the problem is with the Norton thing which is either needs
> configuration or is bad by nature.

The problem is the Norton thing and it's bad by nature - that's for sure.
Unfortunately I don't have win XP and NIS and in my post hoped that somebody
already came up with NIS configuration or work around that solves this
problem. Our users tryed disabling NIS, but it would not help, only
uninstalling works.

> To find out exactly what's going
> on you need a program which can intercept the communication between
> the  application which sends the post and NIS. Basically you want to
> see what's different between a regular browser sending a post and
> your app.
>Regards, Andu Novac

Right. I guess I would have to buy win XP + NIS and try to solve it myself.
On mac I would use Interarchy to watch communication between MC and NIS. Any
advise what should I use on win XP?

>From: Dave Cragg <dcragg at lacscentre.co.uk>
>Subject: Re: Norton Internet Security (NIS) and Post failure

>Have you tried with the latest 2.5 beta engine?

>I have no direct experience of NIS, but know that other users also
>had problems with XP's built-in personal firewall. I tested the 2.5
>engine with the built-in firewall and it works on my XP machine here.

MC 2.5 uses the same libUrl 1.0.8b1 as far as I know. So, it should not make
any difference, but I'll try anyway.

>A stab in the dark but... are you up-to-date with all the XP updates
>(SP1 + all those security patches)? I'm saying this because at one
>point, with MC 2.4.3, I was unable to connect to a server on
>localhost, but discovered recently that I can now do this (with both
>2.4.3 and 2.5B). XP updates are the only things I can think of that
>have changed on the machine.
>Cheers
>Dave

Unfortunately we have several thousand users and I can't control their
updates but 100% pattern is that if they can't connect it's ALWAYS Norton
Internet Security installed on win XP.

BTW bypassing libURL with our own openSocket/Post/get handlers is still
blocked by NIS. It asks for permission to allow the call but blocks it
anyway.

Thanks for replies.
Tariel