The Case Of The Unreadable File

Ray G. Miller rgmiller at pacbell.net
Fri Feb 7 15:52:01 EST 2003

Yo Yennie,

Your function:
function isValid theFile, fileSize
  open file theFile for binary read
  read from file theFile at (fileSize+1) for 1
  put (the result = "eof") into vBool
  close file theFile
  return vBool
end isValid

is very fast, 15 mills, but doesn't do the job. The offending file has
the proper length as per Finder and detailed Files() function. It's
obviously not a question of length, at least in this case, but one of a
twisted byte or bit within the file itself. The Finder cannot copy it to
the HD. The Finder takes one or two minutes to decide it can't copy it, too....

Looks like I'm gonna have to run with my poopie function.

Why is it, 90% of the time is devoted to 10% of the work?

Ray G. Miller
Turtlelips Productions
4009 Everett Ave.
Oakland, CA 94602