The Case Of The Unreadable File

Ray G. Miller rgmiller at pacbell.net
Thu Feb 6 04:26:02 EST 2003

 From: Yennie at aol.com

and From: "Ken Ray" <kray at sonsothunder.com>
> I'd also look to see if it's possible if the disk that the images are being
> read from is corrupt. -36 is a file I/O error, which is usually generated
> when trying to read or write a file to/from a bad block on a disk.

Thanks Yennie  & Ken,
I'll try both today. I believe the client is using a laptop PC for the
CD burning. I've heard that PC laptop CD burners are nortoriously
error-prone. I'll check that out. The media he's using is "imation." Has
anyone heard anything bad about that brand?

I'm using "detailed files()" to get the "correct" files in the first
place. The problem with PC file generation is that the user can
mis-label a file, which can't easily be done in the classic Mac
platform. (I reallllly like the "TRUTH" of the resource fork!) The
"detailed files()" delivers lots of goodies on Mac files, but there is
not that much useful poop on WIN/UNIX files.

The script by Andu Novac from sonsothunder.com would, if it works, add
only a few ticks to the display time.

Again, thanks, guys.

Ray
--