Getting a files icon...

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Sat Feb 1 21:59:01 EST 2003

JR,

A file's icon is in the resource fork of the file (Mac OS 9), a separate
.icns resource file (Mac OS X) or in the compiled application resources
(Windows), and so it's not really a part of what the file system stores
about a file. The OS provides the icon based on its file association (stored
in the desktop database in Mac and in the Registry in Windows). Either way,
it will require moving resources around to get at the icon.

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software
Email: kray at sonsothunder.com
Web Site: http://www.sonsothunder.com/