OT question

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Sat Feb 1 01:06:01 EST 2003

Simon,

I've used Director from version 4 to 8.5, and I have MX on order. I used
HyperTalk first, and the transition to Lingo was pretty easy - very similar
handler and command language structure, although the concepts of
manipulating sprites (instances of objects) versus castmembers (the objects
themselves) takes some getting used to. In Director 7 they went to allowing
for both HyperTalk-like syntax as well as dot notation for referencing
properties ("set the visible of sprite 1 to true" vs. "sprite1.visible =
true"), and they support both "put x into y" and "y = x" concepts. Since you
say you've used Flash, you are already familiar with dot notation so that
should make it easier to switch gears.

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software
Email: kray at sonsothunder.com