Alternate Remote Server Protocols

Alex Rice alex at mindlube.com
Mon Dec 8 09:31:55 EST 2003

On Dec 8, 2003, at 8:50 AM, Ray Horsley wrote:

> What other protocals exist for storing and fetching files from
> unmounted
> disks, using the internet, wide area networks, intranet, etc.?  My
> goal here
> is to accommodate public school systems which often block ftp use.

There are several, but if firewalls are your main issue, then look into
WebDAV. There are DAV clients for Mac and Windows, and it runs over
HTTP so would appear to be just web browsing to the firewall.

Apple's iDisk service is implemented with WebDAV

There are extensions to Apache web server to host DAV file sharing

<http://www.webdav.org/> says
Briefly: WebDAV stands for "Web-based Distributed Authoring and
Versioning". It is a set of extensions to the HTTP protocol which
allows users to collaboratively edit and manage files on remote web
servers.

Alex Rice <alex at mindlube.com> | Mindlube Software |
<http://mindlube.com>