Metacard support

Dr.John R.Vokey vokey at uleth.ca
Thu Dec 4 01:26:09 EST 2003

I won't repeat Wilhelm's comments both to save space and to acknowledge
the fact that I think most of us agree with the general sentiment.

As a long-time supporter of Metacard (MC), I, too, have lamented in
those either.  I simply want to emphasise *one* point.  *I* (and for
all I know, only I) use MC as I used hypercard: stacks that used
hypercard (hc) as the interpretative engine.  To do that in hc (on old
68k machines), hc had to be wickedly *fast*, transparent, extensible,
and efficient.  And it was: stacks were a few k in size, and hc outran
anything I ever encountered (especially once on the fly compilation was
encorporated), and whole new language units were immediately at the
user's command.  MC apparently aimed for the same goals, with, as with
hc, stand-alone capabilities as at best a clumsy afterthought for those
who couldn't or wouldn't use IDEs better adapted to such (e.g., ZBasic,
then FutureBasic to name the best, and the many Fortran, Pascal, C, and
C++ IDE/compilers to name the worst in descending order).  As with hc,
the point was distributable *stacks*, with MC as the engine.

RR  has evolved more and more to a different, if common, approach:
stand-alones as the ultimate, distributed product.  Yes, the IDE (like
most of the same ilk, e.g., RealBasic) is slow and clumsy, but the
stand-alone is fast so, what is the complaint?  Just this: I want the
modern equivalent of hypercard (as described earlier), not a 4th GL way
to produce bloated 2.5 GL products.

*If* the debate were simply over IDEs to produce stand-alones, there
would be no real issue.  But, contrary to the spin, a simple change in
IDE is not all that has happened; there has been a fundamental change
in the underlying philosophy of the product, as evinced by the
licensing and the recent ``closed'' aspects of the IDE.  Yes, it is
probably only me that gives a flying ``whatever''.  But that doesn't
make what has happened any less real.  And disappointing, and sad. (And
please don't respond with usual tiresome, trite mantras of ``well, they
gotta make money'' or ``it's all about market share'' or ``the new IDE
is so much easier for the novice''--all of which may be true-- or other
such drivel, thank you---*those* are *not* the issue).  It is the
*philosophy* of MC that needs support, which included what used to be
phenomenal user support, even for those that downloaded the 10-line
version (which provided the engine for any and all MC stacks that were
distributed).
--
John R. Vokey