Metacard support

Alex Rice alex at mindlube.com
Thu Dec 4 00:00:16 EST 2003

On Dec 3, 2003, at 6:05 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> I don't think it's fair to ascribe a less-than-Raney level of
> responsivness
> to "reluctance".  There may be any number of factors involved, not the
> least
> that they may simply be busy.

I agree with that conclusion, but I have similar concerns as Wilhelm on
this point.

Although the thread is about the metacard project, here my observations
about the use-revolution list. I guess it is NOT an ambivalence about
the metacard project, rather support problems in general.

IMHO there are lots of threads on the use-revolution list that need
feedback from runrev staff, but they often go untouched.

Looking at my use-revolution mail folder there are 4061 messages. There
are only 82 messages from runrev.com. After removing broadcast
announcements from runrev.com (multiple copies because I'm subscribed
to multiple lists) then the number is down to 67 messages from
runrev.com. 42 of those are from Tuviah.

This amounts to only ~ 1% of the messages are from Runrev staff!

> As with most user-to-user discussion forums, while it's always
> appreciated
> when Heather, Goeff, Jeanne, Kevin, or others posts there I don't
> believe
> they have an obligation to do so.

In the recent past I've been on mailing lists hosted by apple,
omnigroup, and realsoftware. I haven't counted, but I estimate that
posts by staff members on those lists ranged about 5-10% of total
traffic. That makes a big difference in the feel of the list. The apple
and omnigroup lists were not even product-related, just general
programming-on-mac-os lists. Just the fact the lists are hosted @
runrev.com - I would expect more activity from the staff.

Recently people complained on the use-rev mailing list about getting no
response from support at runrev.com. These are people with, presumably,
current Runrev licenses.

Maybe Scott Raney exhibited great tech support, but no matter how I
look at the current support situation, it doesn't look good, even for a
small company that's having growing pains.

OTOH a surprisingly high number of posts to use-rev were from yours
truly. So I guess I should zip it now :-/

Alex Rice <alex at mindlube.com> | Mindlube Software |
<http://mindlube.com>