RunRev 2.1

Ben Rubinstein benr_mc at cogapp.com
Sun Aug 31 06:07:00 EDT 2003

There are three functions in Rev (first two also in MetaCard)
    version() -- currently returns "2.5.1B3" for my latest copy
    buildNumber() -- currently returns "3"
    revAppVersion() -- currently returns "2.1B3"

(BTW, something weird here; when I first wrote this, I found that version()
returned "2.5.1B3", while revAppVersion() returned "2.1B3" - in other words
the build number was automatatically appended.  I thought this was odd, and
confirmed that on Rev 2.0.3 this didn't happen.  A reboot later, I've
rechecked and found it isn't happening on Rev 2.1 either.  Weird.)

(BTW2: note that you can say "the version" or "the buildNumber" as they are
built into the engine; but can only say "revAppVersion()" because it isn't,
at least for now.)

Note that revAppVersion covers both the IDE and all the other elements that
have (until now) being Rev-only features; so it's relevant even to
standalones, as you are looking at version 2.1 of the Database functions,
the XML library, etc as well as the IDE.

I think it would be helpful for Rev to clarify (which probably means
decide!) what their policy will be going forward.  There's no reason now to
expect engine releases independent of "Revolution" releases.  Maybe
revAppVersion() should be retired, and the next major update magically jump
to 2.6, allowing the engine and Rev to have the same version number.

Thoughts from Rev would be received with interest.

on 27/8/03 10:19 am, Robert Brenstein wrote