MC IDE

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sun Aug 24 19:47:00 EDT 2003

Alain Farmer wrote:

> I have not been able to port FreeGUI to Rev

What difficulties have you encountered?  In theory it should be as simple as
with MC, since they both use the same engine.  As long as there is a naked
(not bound to a standalone) engine you should be able to run FreeGUI well.

>> I haven't played with it much since last year,
>> so I may well be missing something.
>
> Thanks for the 'nod', Richard. At least there is still
> some doubt in your mind as to the relevance & progress
> of FreeGUI/FreeCard.

Not necessarily.  I use MC pretty much every day and focus my efforts on
end-user things rather than IDE things.  So my not using FreeGUI is more a
statement about the workload here than any opinion about the IDE itself. :)

> As I pointed out in this letter, FreeGUI hasn't progressed
> much lately, but it works!, with MetaCard, and it could
> work with Rev if someone endeavours to make it so.

I'll be checking the FreeGUI list for activity on this.  I'm very interested
in what differences are found and how they are overcome.

With multiple IDEs each coming at the engine from a different angle, we help
ensure the engine is robust and provide an additional R&D benefit:  much as
Apple will never be the dominant platform yet is critical to the industry as
a whole as an R&D center, aternative IDEs can provide a playground of ideas
for different philosophies of authoring.  Unencumbered by the marketing and
other issues that drive development of the official Rev IDE, folks are free
to explore new and different ways of getting a day's work done, and some of
these might benefit all of us.

If nothing else such alternatives can deliver an IDE for nearly any
personality type, creating ever more reasons to answer "Should I be using
Transcript?" with "Yes!"

Viva la difference!

Viva la Revolution!