MC IDE

Monte Goulding monte at sweattechnologies.com
Sun Aug 24 04:09:00 EDT 2003

> > So far I haven't seen any reason for such a document, because so far I
> > haven't found any problems with just dropping the latest Rev engine
> > into the MC folder. I've currently got 2.5.1b3 running in the MC IDE
> > without any issues.
>
> May be a wacky question, but it just occurred to me so I thought I'd
> shake up some dust: how do you (anyone) plan on handling documentation?
> You say you don't have any problems with just dropping in the latest
> engine -- but that doesn't update the documentation.

I still haven't thought of a reason to maintain the MetaCard IDE let alone
the documentation. Just because you're comforatable using the MC IDE it's no
reason to waste time maintaining it yourselves. It'sll only take you a few
weeks to get the same level of comfort with Rev. 2 1/2 years ago people on
this list couldn't comprehend why people were still using HyperCard. I guess
this is history repeating itself?

Maybe the people lingering here are the ones that only just realised that
Apple has stopped working on HyperCard? Well let me tell you that in 10
years time when you realise that MetaCard corp is no longer working on
MetaCard you will move to Revolution anyway. Why not make the move and get
it over with? If there's something you're not happy with in the IDE then ask
the team to change it. Even spend your time developing a reference
implementation for the runrev team (as I did with the distribution builder)
rather than making your life hard and working on MC.

Don't get me wrong. Rev is not the be all and end all. But MetaCard's time
is over. It's time to move on whether you realise it now or in 10 years
time. It you want to put energy into an open source xCard IDE then get
behind FreeCard. Then you could be 10 years ahead of your time rather than
10 years behind.

Best regards and in the best intention

Monte