Launching a local file in the default browser

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Fri Aug 15 12:13:24 EDT 2003

Ben,

> If you don't care about the file type/creator, you may be
> able to get away with nullifying those, and asking the Finder
> to open the URL - but you'll still have to decide how many
> slashes to use.

Actually, it seems that it doesn't matter if you tell the Finder to open
the URL; three slashes works for Safari, Opera, IE, Mozilla, OmniWeb and
Camino (I didn't get a chance to test iCab). The approach I used (after
stripping file type/creator was taking the path to the file, removing
the first slash if there was one and then:

  send "file:///" & tPath to program "Finder" with "GURLGURL"

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software
Email: kray at sonsothunder.com
Web Site: http://www.sonsothunder.com/