Drawers

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Mon Aug 11 16:44:01 EDT 2003

On 8/11/03 2:28 PM, Wilhelm Sanke wrote:

> On  Sun, 10 Aug 2003 "J. Landman Gay" <jacque at hyperactivesw.com> wrote:
>
>>I may not understand what you mean, but when I use the "drawer" command,
>>the stack animates and slides out exactly like the ones in Apple's
>>applications. There is a smooth glide from closed to open.
> I was asked to share examples of how we simulated drawers - as it were -
> before the advent of the latest command. Some of the examples I
> mentioned or pointed to were about two years old. The specific script
> with the sliding effect from our sample stack you refer to was written
> one and a half years ago; so it anyway shows the rich potential of
> Metacard even without the new drawer command.

I understand now. Thanks for the explanation.

> Now, with the new command, I do not get here any sliding effect. The
> drawer stacks simply open. Maybe there is a sliding effect, but it is
> not visible for me. Is there maybe another undocumented feature that can
> slow down the showing of the drawer as in visual effects?
> This is on Windows with Metacard 2.5.1B2. At the moment I do not have
> access to my Mac to try out, but in two days I will use it again.
> What platform do you have that shows this sliding effect?

The sliding animation I see is in OS X. I have always assumed it was an
OS X-only effect, similar to the "as sheet" command which is also only
for OS X. On other platforms, "as sheet" displays a stack as a modal
stack instead. Apparently the "drawer" command does the same, and simply
displays a stack on other platforms as a regular stack, though I haven't
tried it on anything but OS X. You may have to continue using your handy
scripts on other operating systems.

I may be wrong about this though.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com