Drawers

Wilhelm Sanke sanke at hrz.uni-kassel.de
Mon Aug 11 15:26:00 EDT 2003

On  Sun, 10 Aug 2003 "J. Landman Gay" <jacque at hyperactivesw.com> wrote:

> > If you want to have this "visual effect" of a drawer being opened and
> > closed like a real drawer, it is important to first open the drawers
> > invisibly, and then take care that the drawers start from underneath the
> > base stack and prevent that flickering that occurs when the vis of the
> > drawer is set the true.
>

> I may not understand what you mean, but when I use the "drawer" command,
> the stack animates and slides out exactly like the ones in Apple's
> applications. There is a smooth glide from closed to open.
>
> The "drawer" command slides the stack out. A "hide stack myStack"
> command slides it back in. Once the stack is set to be a drawer, you can
> just use "show stack myStack" to slide it open again.
>
> There doesn't seem to be any need to manually adjust the position of the
> stack as it slides open. The stack also appears "underneath" the main stack.
>
> This is all with version 2.1 beta, of course.
>
> -- Jacqueline Landman Gay

I was asked to share examples of how we simulated drawers - as it were -
before the advent of the latest command. Some of the examples I
mentioned or pointed to were about two years old. The specific script
with the sliding effect from our sample stack you refer to was written
one and a half years ago; so it anyway shows the rich potential of
Metacard even without the new drawer command.

Now, with the new command, I do not get here any sliding effect. The
drawer stacks simply open. Maybe there is a sliding effect, but it is
not visible for me. Is there maybe another undocumented feature that can
slow down the showing of the drawer as in visual effects?
This is on Windows with Metacard 2.5.1B2. At the moment I do not have
access to my Mac to try out, but in two days I will use it again.
What platform do you have that shows this sliding effect?

Regards,

Wilhelm Sanke