? How to get the pixel color without relying on mouseColor

Sparticus Zarris spartics at aye.net
Sun Aug 10 18:12:01 EDT 2003

It seems unusual that there is a function to get the color of
the pixel under the mouse, but no function to get the color
of an arbitrary pixel.

I'm _sure_ there must be something like:

get the color of pixel 240,360

which would put the triplet "0,0,0" into it, if (240,360) is a
black pixel, or "255,255,255" into it if (240,360) is a white
pixel.

Please, don't tell me to write a function like this:

function convolutedGetPixelColor  aPoint
  set the screenMouseLoc to aPoint
  get the mouseColor

  return it

end convolutedGetPixelColor

Why would this be stupid?  Obviously, because if I need to
iterated over a _Large_ range of pixels, the user might get
worried something had gone wrong, and bump/wiggle his
cursor to see if the computer had frozen.

Having wiggled the cursor, he just set the mouseLoc to a
different Loc halfway through my giant repeat loop that
checks all the pixels.

So, please tell me I'm missing some function that does
"the Right Thing", and not that mouseColor &
screenMouseLoc is the _wonderful_ "Meta" way of doing it.

Sparticus Zarris
1208 Clark Street
New Albany, Indiana  47150
spartics at aye.net