Launching a local file in the default browser

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Sat Aug 9 03:57:01 EDT 2003

OK, Richard, I got it... you need to shell() to the "cp" to copy the
file to a temporary filename; doing so will strip the type/creator and
then you can launch it with "open" via appleScript (after converting the
POSIX path to a normal mac path, of course):

on launchit pPath
  put pPath into tDestPath
  set the itemDel to "/"
  put "temp.html" into last item of tDestPath
  get shell("cp" && pPath && tDestPath)
  put "tell application" && q("Finder") into s
  put cr & "set f to" && q(tDestPath) && " as POSIX file" after s
  put cr & "set p to f as text" after s
  put cr & "open file p" & cr & "end tell" after s
  do s as AppleScript
end launchIt

function q pWhat
  return quote & pWhat & quote