script limits

José L. Rodríguez Illera jlrodrig at ariadna.d5.ub.es
Thu Aug 7 16:14:00 EDT 2003

Hi,

I think that setting the script of an objetc/stack is widely used, so with a
very serious problem of backwards compatibility for already shipped
products, and limiting new ones.

There are more situations than already  discussed (speed, dynamic
programming, limits of 'do') on which setting the scripts is very important.
For example:

- upgrading old version of documents created with a MC/RR standalone.  New
versions of the standalone may include new functionalities for the documents
and you have to update the scripts in the document or add objetcs to the
interface, etc
- letting the user to password his documents. You may put the password into
a custom property but this not sure as to put it into a script and protect
the stack. If you put the password out (external pref file) of the
document/stack then it is more difficult to distribute/send it.

Really I do not understand the reasons for this. The consequence  seems a
move to let developers develop plug-ins and stacks for use inside the IDE
more than  real and competitive applications for end users. It is very
strange that you have language features on the IDE not present on the
standalone (they are addressed only to the developers!).

Hope this is not a decission taken...

José L. Rodríguez