Script Limits

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Aug 7 12:52:01 EDT 2003

Mark Talluto wrote:

> In my case, I usually am updating code to controls with the set the
> script of....   There is no other way to use the same control with new
> code.

While I agree that the proposed change to script limits is likely more of a
problem in itself than a solution, there is at lease one other alternative
for your scenario.

Rather than writing self-modifying code you could set a property in the
object and handle the various behaviors in a backscript using a switch
block:

  on MySpecialBehavior
   switch the uBehaviorClass of the target
    case "Something"
      doSomnething
      break
    case "SomethingElse"
      doSomethingElse
      break
   end switch
  end MySpecialBehavior

The overhead of the switch block is a fraction of a millisecond and allows
you to centralize your code into a common library.  This may simplify
debugging, and likely simplify maintenance as well should you ever need to
alter the behavior.