Script Limits

Shari gypsyware at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 6 10:48:00 EDT 2003

>I bet you were trying to set the scripts that had more than 10 lines
>and exactly that limit prevented you from doing so. If you test, you
>will see that setting shorter scripts works. Once they change the
>limit to 0, setting scripts in standalones will not be possible at
>all. From what I understand, the "do" limit will remain at 10.
>
>I think that they are becoming slowly more paranoid about someone
>producing a competing interface or producing programs that bypass
>the licensing system.

Yes it was more than 10 lines.  The way the game was written in
Hypercard, if the object had a script, it was *active*.  If it
didn't, it was inactive.  Objects were activated/inactivated this
way.  Only one object, or group of objects, could be active at a
time, and I set this at the start of the round, by setting/deleting
scripts.

No big deal.  I just did this another way in Metacard.  Though I sure
wish I had know from the get-go.  It would have saved me a lot of
time and frustration.

Here I had a project that worked, all bugs had been squashed.  I
ported it to Metacard, made sure it worked, compiled it into a
standalone, and voila.  It broke.  I jumped thru a bunch of hoops
trying to figure out why.  At the time I didn't know that the
standalone had limits over the stack, nor was it very clear in the
docs everything those limits affected.  So I whittled away I don't
know how many days trying to get to the bottom of that one.

Which brings me back to the original question:

I would still like to know exactly what the new changes will affect,
in case it is something that my current projects use.  If I upgrade,
I want to know beforehand what upgrading will break.  I would rather
not go thru several months of beta testing for a project that has had
a minor feature added, in order to make sure the new MC engine
doesn't break something that wasn't broke before.

A "this is what you can't do anymore" FAQ would save us a lot of time
and frustration.  We can read it, determine whether our projects will
be affected, and change them if necessary.  Much better than trying
to track down a bug that didn't used to be there.

I'd like to see this change from MC to Rev, be smoother than the
change from HC to MC.

Shari C
Gypsy King Software
--