Encrypted data sample

miscdas at boxfrog.com miscdas at boxfrog.com
Fri Apr 11 14:20:00 EDT 2003

Shari writes:
[snip]

> I've kept burglars out in the past, in neighborhoods where all my
> neighbors were robbed.  Make your house a pain in the arse to get into,
> and they will get frustrated and find easier pickin's.
>
> Moral of the story:  Make it harder to accomplish, and you will eliminate
> a good many codebreakers.  Not all, but most likely the ones that would
> have broken you.
>
> Shari C
======================

"Locks? Well, those are simple devices for keepin' honest folks honest. The
bad guys, well, if they think the payoff is good enough, they'll do their
darndest to either break 'em or go around 'em. You gotta remember, a thief
is tryin' to make crime pay, so if the payoff is expected to be low, he
ain't goin' to spend much time tryin' to get in, so a relatively simple lock
is OK. But if your place appears to be "worth the time" to him, he'll
work-over the best security system for whatever time he believes is
justified."

At first glance, this doesn't seem to explain crackers and phreakers.
However, their "payoff" is often no more than "Look at me, I did it!" which,
for some personality types, is an extremely powerful driving force.

miscdas