Bug report 2.5G1

Wilhelm Sanke sanke at hrz.uni-kassel.de
Sat Apr 5 14:41:00 EST 2003

On Fri, 4 Apr 2003  Scott Raney <raney at metacard.com> wrote:

> Please note that bug reports go to bugs at metacard.com, not to this
> list.

Excuse me, Scott, but ...

may I assume that I am not the only target of your reproach here? I just
joined the queue of not less than eight "bug reports" during the last
days. You know well that several times I reported bugs offlist and that
we discussed them there.

However, there may be indeed  instances when it is useful to present
bugs to the list (not necessarily this time; so far I accept a
reproach), because some "bugs" can be caused by hardware configurations,
obsolete drivers or - as it were - "complicated" programming, so these
need to be discussed on the background of the experience of other list
members.

> Not to mention that if these problems really did exist in the
> alpha and beta-test releases, you're not doing us (or yourself) any
> great favor by waiting until we're just about to release 2.5 before
> reporting them at all!

I did not examine the reported bugs in a systematic way until version
2.5.G1. What I did then was to test prior versions, because I wanted to
find out when these bugs came up first. Going through 8 prior alpha and
beta-releases really took some time and I certainly did myself no favor
with that, but I thought it might be helpful mentioning it to you.

Concerning the request for a  feature to put button names/labels
directly *on
 top* of button icons you point out:

> While we don't have an official policy on public lobbying like this,
> my personal opinion is that if we get any "me too" posts from others
> wanting this feature they'd be given very little weight in our
> decision making process as to which of the 300 or so features on the
> feature-request list to implement for the next release.  After all, if
> it was really important to people, they would have asked us for this
> feature without having to be prompted...

Are you really saying that is not "politically correct" to voice one's
opinion and ask others to join in if they are interested? And those that
act like that will be punished?

I kept quiet about this icon issue for more than a year and have
mentioned it now again, because related issues had come up on the
Metacard and Revolution list.-

I deeply appreciate what you are doing for the x-talk community. Let us
resume an engaged, but sober exchange of opinions and experiences.

Regards,

Wilhelm Sanke