checking for Internet connection

andu undo at cloud9.net
Sun Sep 29 13:28:01 EDT 2002

--On Saturday, September 28, 2002 11:19:09 -0700 Richard Gaskin
<ambassador at fourthworld.com> wrote:

> How do you tell if an Internet connection is availble without typing up
> the user's machine?

On Mac classic if you do [put hostnametoaddress("localhost"]) with no
internet connection you get an error regarding internet services (DNS).
With internet connection active you get a "invalid host address" error for
localhost (and any name which is not resolved). I assume this is multi
platform so you can use the former for your purposes.