Frontscripts and backscripts

Shari gypsyware at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 27 00:05:01 EDT 2002

According to the documentation, the following limits are imposed:

The Starter Kit permits up to ten objects to be inserted into the
frontscripts.  This limit is set by line 4 of the scriptLimits
function.  Standalone applications also have this limitation.  Ditto
for backScripts.

Also, it's a killer to debug a front/back script.  The error window
does not specify where the error occurred, only that one did.

I've got it working with front and backscripts.  But I wouldn't call
it the most optimal solution.  If only the error window were more
friendly, it would be a good solution.

I'd hate to have tried to debug it from the beginning without the
error window specifying where to find the error.

I was not able to get two menuPick handlers to work thru
front/backscripts.  Even with the pass menuPick message, the menus
failed, where they had worked perfectly before.  (I had several
levels of menus.  And tried to insert the one that had been in the
embedded stack, into a front or backscript.  The menu that was in the
main stack failed to function.  Somehow the inserted menu blocked it,
even with a pass menuPick message at the end.)

All in all I've got everything working.  Am in final testing again.
And as soon as this sucker is out the door, am planning to write an
article to help others deal with standalone issues.  I'll post it on
my website, and those with Metacard resource sites are welcome to
link to it.

I've got several articles floating around out there, not related to
programming.  I believe this will be a good addition.

Shari C
--
--Shareware Games for the Mac--
http://www.gypsyware.com