Import question from a new user

Klaus Major klaus.major at metascape.org
Wed Sep 25 11:21:01 EDT 2002

Hi Kristen,

> I am very new to Metacard and have a (hopefully) simple but frustrating
> problem. I have been importing images into my programs with no
> problems on
> both Mac and PC using the "import paint from file" command in the
> message
> box, and they appear with no problems on my page. However, when I try
> import quicktime videos using the "import videoClip from file" command
> on
> the PC the program acts like it is importing the clip but the clip
> doesn't
> show up on my page or anywhere,

this i a bit unususal ;-)

After importing a video-clip, only a copy of that clip is
saved inside your stack WITH NO VISUAL REPRESENTATION !

You can assure yourself by checking "stack props -> Components ->
Videoclips"

To display the clip you have to do it with a script like:

on mouseup
   play vc "yourclip.mov"
end mouseup

This will play the clip at the center of the current card.
You can specify a location for the display by adding "... at x,y"
to that script like:

on mouseup
   play vc "yourclip.mov" at 100,500
   ### or "... at the loc of img "videodisplayarea" etc...
end mouseup

However it is highly recommende to use players and set
their filenames to the path to that videoclip.

Search the index for:
"player", "play" and "Videoclips".

> and on the Mac when I do
> file-import-videoclip it says it can't open file, mask, or display and
> when
> I use the message box command it gives me an error message. Help!

Works for me here.

Try quitting and restarting MC.
At least that helped me when i had the same troubles when
importing images...

Drop a line if you have further problems or questions.

Regards

Klaus Major
klaus.major at metascape.org