Update Mac menubar fails in standalone

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Sep 24 14:34:01 EDT 2002

Shari wrote:

> The whole issue of cracks is a much discussed one.  And authors are
> split as to how they handle the issue.  Some say not to spend too
> much time over your protections, to accept that cracks will happen,
> and blow it off.  Others take the opposite tack.  I'm a worse case
> scenario thinker.  I take the opposite tack.  And it's important to
> me to tighten the system for the next programs out the door, in
> anticipation of increased exposure.

See:

The Plain Truth About Piracy
<http://www.AmbrosiaSW.com/cgi-bin/ubb/newsdisplay.cgi?action=topics&number=
14&forum=*The+Ambrosia+Times+Newsletter&DaysPrune=25&article=000052&startpoi
nt=>

Ambrosia's approach is to have the software phone home to perform validation
of the reg code.

Since I'm one of those with good reason to believe more than half my users
did not pay for the software, I'm considering something along these lines
myself.

In my experience the majority of theft is done by means outside of your
control, with the thief making a legitmate purchase with stolen credit card
info.  Once a valid reg code is obtained, it circulates through Hotline,
GNUtella, Usenet, and other popular crackbegger haunts, until you come
across it and block the code in the next release.  This does nothing to
prevent the distribution of your code for the current version, but at least
frustrates some if you upgrade your product regularly.

I've seen no evidence thus far that anyone has found it worth their while to
truly crack my reg scheme, and as long as credit card info remains easy for
criminals to purchase there is little reason for them to go to that much
trouble for smaller apps (major game releases are another story).

My own philosophy is to let the big companies provide guidance for effective
strategies.  Apple, Microsoft, Adobe, and Macromedia products can be
unlocked with a simple reg code, with few of their wares phoning home for
validation.  Customers have an unnecessary privacy concern about software
that phones home, and Microsoft's attempt to require it with XP has met with
strong disfavor.   So I may do it, but not without running it by a few of my
favorite customers first.  While you and I know that a simple HTTP
transaction needn't compromise anyone's privacy, as long as the irrational
perception persists it must be taken into acount to encourage legitimate
sales.  Any anti-piracy scheme that hinders the legitimate user's experience
risks backfiring.

 Custom Software and Web Development for All Major Platforms