Launching a url in a web browser on Linux...

David Bovill david.bovill at opn-technologies.com
Mon Sep 23 13:42:01 EDT 2002

On Mon, 2002-09-23 at 17:07, Ken Ray wrote:

> My knowlege of Linux is severely limited... how does 'netscape'
associate
> the program with the Netscape browser, and can you give an example of
how
> would you associate it with another browser? Just trying to
understand...

I think this is down to the ability of the browser to accept command
line parameters in the shell.

  launch "http://www.somewhere.com" with "konqueror" also works, now to
see how to get around the issue with launch when the browser/process is
already open?

OK - this works nicely using the shell("browserAppName somurl") version
Andu suggested...

On the Linux Guru side of things is there anyway to open / move metacard
windows from Workspace to Workspace - keep getting nothing only to find
that the window has opened in another workspace - great to have script
control over this...

Some more shell command tips out there?