play sound

Signe Marie Sanne signe.sanne at roman.uib.no
Fri Sep 20 04:42:01 EDT 2002

Hello to all

In some of my programs sounds (.au) are downloaded from a server, but
the way it is scripted, a ".au" file is left permanently on the local
harddisk (even though shifting contents for each new sound). The
script lines (using  DownloadNPlay and Updateme) are:

  if stat contains "cached" then
     put "Done" into field "progress"
     set the thumbpos of sb 1 to the endValue of sb 1
     wait 500 milliseconds
     hide group "watchProgress"
     put url href into tVar
     put "binfile:" & the directory & "/sfp.au" into filnavn
     put tVar into url filnavn --A sound file named "sfp.au" is created locally
     put the directory & "/sfp.au" into lydfil
     play lydfil
     unload url href
     exit to MetaCard
   end if

In order to avoid creating the file "sfp.au" I have tried:
   set filename of player "lyd" to  href
  start player 1

Here the filename of the player is correct, but it does NOT start the
player. If I use a separate button with "start player 1" everything
is OK.

If I use:
set filename of player "lyd" to URL href
  start player 1

the filename of the player is ".snd" and no sound comes out.

Looking forward to hearing your suggestions...

1. amanuensis Signe Marie Sanne      e-mail: signe.sanne at roman.uib.no
Romansk Institutt                            tel:  +47 55 58 21 27
Oysteins gt. 1
5007 Bergen         	 http://www.hf.uib.no/hfolk/mlab/default.html
Norway