Buttons change appearance

Shari gypsyware at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 19 10:28:01 EDT 2002

I doubt anyone has an answer.  I'm just a bit frustrated, so I'm
venting.  I fully expected to have this program to my beta testers
last week... but compiling it created a number of unanticipated
problems.

Project is complete.  Compiled into a standalone.

Apparently the program compiles as a Starter Mode program, and has
the limits of the Metacard demo.  This does not affect the length of
scripts.  But it does affect the length of "do" commands.  I had code
I didn't want in a script, but in Properties, where you get the
property and "do it" to run the code.  Apparently this is limited to
10 lines in all standalones.  Thankfully it was an easy fix.

Compiled again.  (That compile produced an immediate error, so I
didn't get into further testing.  I knew that error would run rampant
thru the entire program.)

And several buttons changed appearance.

All of my Option buttons are grey instead of white.  I colored them
white.  I colored the card white.  I colored the stack white.  I
tried everything to make the buttons white in the standalone, to no
avail.

No I can't make them transparent as there are colored objects under them.

Best I can figure is this:

I have a Powermac G-3 running 8.6.  Metacard has Look and Feel
preferences that allow you to see how something will look on other
platforms.  I normally keep it set to my platform until the end,
during testing.  The buttons turn grey in OS Native mode, but in
Macintosh mode they stay white.

When I compile into a standalone, I use the same engine that I
develop with, PPC.  Yet the Look and Feel apparently turns into OS
Native.

I had several other button visual problems as well.  I had a number
of buttons configured specifically for looks, they served no other
function.  They were graphics to me.  But the visuals changed after
compiling.  And testing showed that they turned into OS Native
appearance.

The only way I can get them to be white on all platforms, is to turn
them into Combo Boxes instead of Option buttons.  (The other buttons
styles do not make it apparent enough that it's a menu button).  I
don't like Combo Boxes!

Aaarrrggghhhh!

--
--Shareware Games for the Mac--