Confirming a Save command

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Sun Sep 15 22:47:01 EDT 2002

On 9/15/02 8:36 PM, John Kiltinen wrote:
> I want users of my MetaCard application to be able to save changes to
> stacks.  However if they are running the application off of the CD ROM on
> which it will be delivered, or if for some reason the stack has been locked
> or set for read only mode, the saving that they think they are doing does
> not happen, and I want a way to detect this and let them know about it.
>
> I have worked out a roundabout way to do this, but suspect that there is a
> slicker method that I am missing.  I would like to stay within MetaCard
> with the solution.

I can't think of a way to get the info directly, but the function "the
detailed files" returns a list of file attributes for all files in the
current directory. One of the attributes is the last modification date
in seconds. So you could at least skip all the closing, deleting, and
re-opening part of the script by just checking the last modification
date. The script needs to parse out the name of the file you are
interested in, since "the detailed files" returns a whole list.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com