Un-American characters

Wilhelm Sanke sanke at hrz.uni-kassel.de
Sun Sep 15 04:54:01 EDT 2002

Hi Klaus,

On, 14 Sep 2002 14:02:35 +0200
From: Klaus Major <k_major at os.surf2000.de> wrote:

> Hi Wilhelm,
>
> (snip)
> > If this is designed to allow custom properties to contain binary data,
> > as a matter of fact the names of the custom properties need not be
> > effected, because only the contents of the custom property would
> > contain  the binary data
> .
> > I still have troubles to fully understand this feature of attaching
> > binary data. Could you or anybody else give a practical example for
> > attaching binary data to a custom property and why such data need to be
> > located at this place?
> set the whatsoever of this stack to
> url"binfile:C:/windoof/very_binary_file.bin"
> Again too simple to be obvious  [;-)]
>
> Why ? This might be a philosophical issue  [:-)]
>
> No, just think of storing files that have to be installed somewhere
> but have to be delivered in only one (1) file.

I think I can follow you to some extent. *One file* here means probably
you use a Metacard stack with an embedded binfile that for some reason
needs to be installed and is needed by the stack? But why wouldn't it
be sufficient to store the *address* of the binfile, which could be
stored in a custom property without using binary data.
And the practical use of such a carrier function could be restricted to
custom properties of  the stack, why should you attach a binfile (and
not only its address) to a custom property of an image, a button, or a
field?

> > On the other hand, could the problem not be the solution??
> > If binary data can be transported safely and unchanged across platform
> > borders, why not store - Metacard internally - custom properties and
> > their names as binary data? This would increase Metacard and Revolution
> > platform transferability.
>

> I cannot see what might be wrong with the current situation...

I cannot see why you should not try to remove the problem of
cross-platform transfer of un-American characters inside custom
properties (and its names)  - however unimportant that may be for the
majority of Metacard users - and thus improve the tranferability between
different platforms, which is one of the outstanding features of
Metacard.

> Regards
> Klaus Major

Regards,