Sound Recording

Scott Raney raney at metacard.com
Mon Sep 2 16:06:01 EDT 2002

On Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 tominjapan at excite.com wrote:

> I've wasted a lot of time in the past trying to get QuickTime sound
> recording working. So before I try again with the latest version of
> MetaCard, has anyone had any success with it?

Seems to work fine here now in 2.4.3.  It's a major hack internally,
though, because of bugs in QT recording (we have to always record CD
quality to a QT movie and then use a conversion function to output the
type of file requested).

> I still get irritating squeeks on my mac and grabled garbage on my
> windows.

Be sure you're recording to a format that "play audioClip"
understands, which mostly rules out all of the compressed formats QT
can produce.  If you must play those, use "play videoClip <file>"
instead.  That uses QT, which although much slower and more memory
intensive can play many more formats than the default play command
which uses low-level sound routines in Win32 and MacOS which don't
support compression.
  Regards
    Scott