Weird URL thing

Dave Cragg dcragg at lacscentre.co.uk
Thu Oct 31 17:33:01 EST 2002

At 4:05 pm -0500 31/10/02, Gregory Lypny wrote:
>Hi Dave,
>
>	Thanks for responding.  The result is always empty and so is
>the container it.  All of the information about the local host is
>identical to the remote host, even the port number.
>
>	I have a guess about the source of the problem which I'm
>going to look at.  The FileMaker portal that I tested on the local
>host had only four records in it, but the portal on the remote host
>had about 160.  It appears that accessing records in a portal and
>generating the corresponding web page through FM's Web Companion is
>considerable slower than accessing the records in the master file
>directly.  Doing so in a browser takes more than thirty seconds for
>the portal (closer to fifty seconds, actually) versus three or four
>seconds for the master file, and I'm wondering if MC is not somehow
>timing out before it gets any of the data.  I think I can test  this
>by bringing the big portal file over to the local host to see if I
>can access the records.  If the problem is repeated, then I'd keep
>trying with fewer and fewer records.  If timing out is, in fact,
>the problem, perhaps there is a way to make MC wait longer.  Does
>that sound like a reasonable approach?

Setting the socketTimeoutInterval will make metacard wait longer
(default is 10 seconds). But I don't think this is the problem. You
should get an error message returned in the result if there is a
timeout. However, in case something isn't working as it should,  give
it a try. (And if it works, could you let me know?)

Another thing would be to log the request (libUrlSetLogField the long
id of field <someField>). This will record the headers sent by the
server, and may give some kind of clue about what's happening.

Cheers
Dave