timeout (or 'force-quit') for 'open socket' needed

RCS rcs at rcsprogramming.com
Tue Oct 29 18:33:01 EST 2002

  More specifically, I would like to 'force-quit' (from a script) a request
to open a socket. I can get the effect I want by doing a 'Control-Period',
but that does not work from a script. It seems like you do have the control
from your engine to abandon this OS request...I would just like to be able
to control it from my program too.

  Would there really be any harm in requesting an open socket from the OS,
but if I do not get a response within 5 seconds, just abort? Even if the OS
responds (one or two minutes later!), I have already moved on to something
else (i.e. trying another socket). It's like trying to go to URL from your
browser, but pressing the STOP button (because it is taking forever), and
moving on to another URL. Eventually the targeted URL may respond, but you
are already 'gone'. I can't imagine what it would be like if my browser
forced me to complete each call to a URL...I would be drinking way too much
coffee, that is for sure!  ;-)

  I just can't see a customer sitting in front of the computer for that long
before they realize that the device they want to communicate with is not
responding (power off, wrong IP, not connected, etc.). Since I cannot even
'ping' the device without opening a socket first, I too am subject to this
'waiting' from the program...so I see no way around this.

Thanks,
JR