Menubar revisited

Mark Luetzelschwab luetzm at mail.utexas.edu
Mon Oct 21 15:46:01 EDT 2002

Shari - this is a common problem for people who skip the
auto-configure when setting up a mac.

>I have one last thing to try.  And quite a few bugs to squish that
>aren't going to be easy ones.  Apparently the script to go to an URL
>fails on some.  Printing too.
>
>Error:
>
>Did not work to go to website---had to force quit, then it asked me
>if I was set up for internet access. Was connected via DSL.

Check for the existence of a file something like Internet Addn Prefs
(look in the prefs folder - double check the name, I'm working from
memory).

If its there, all is fine.

If its not, the finder brings up a dialog in the background *but does
not notify you or switch to the finder*. This is the hanging that you
are experiencing. So..

1. Check for the file
2. If its not there on 9.x, then

	a. Warn the user (They MUST click ok, or all fails)
	b. Activate the Finder (using appleevents)
	c. Hope that they click ok.

It might not be necessary - try using the "open location" instead -
it should work on 9 - and may bypass this.

Good luck

-ml