Job: Remote database contract (FlexibleLearning@aol.com)

Sadhunathan Nadesan sadhu at castandcrew.com
Sun Oct 20 14:21:01 EDT 2002

|    1. Job: Remote database contract (FlexibleLearning at aol.com)
|
| --__--__--

Howdy,

Welp, I could not volunteer for the job but would be interested to hear
(on list) what solution is chosen?

What I think would be kewl is an open source DB running on Linux as the
DB server (my preference PostgreSQL) and clients written in MC (using
ODBC I presume) which of course could be Mac or PC or Linux, enabled
for connection across the net.

In general this would be a very powerful approach for all kinds of
projects, but the world's current standard seems to be html or xhtml,
maybe php, or java script, but browser based resulting in (IMHO) a crummy
user interface for data base applications, or (as in our case at work)
Java on the client side (in our case not within a browser).

It's a good solution but coding in Java is - ah - complex if all you
want is something simple.

Scott has an interesting MC better than Java white paper but how about
real solutions?

Perhaps it has escaped my attention, but I haven't heard much about client
server data base solutions using MC on this list and I would like to.
I guess Revolution has some new stuff ODBC or JDBC? for it but what
about MC?  And of course I want an IDE like Borland to drag and drop
master/detail forms components, etc.  But, I'd live with MC as is.

Can anyone point me to an example where it's being done, that is,
MC for data base connectivity?

Thanks

Sadhu