Standalones and file icons

Ray Horsley ray at linkitonline.com
Fri Oct 11 15:11:00 EDT 2002

on 10/11/02 5:56 AM, Shari at gypsyware at earthlink.net wrote:

> I have a standalone, with embedded stacks, and with external stacks.
>
> The standalone has a creator code and custom icons, and all is well.
>
> I want the external stacks to also have custom icons, different from
> the standalone, but nothing I've tried gets the icons to stick.
>
> Setting the creator code to the same as the standalone, and creating
> the various icon resources, works until the stack is opened.  The
> moment the stack is opened, Metacard itself changes the creator code
> to Metacard's, and Metacard's icons replace mine.  I've tried with
> and without bundle bits, and with various settings checked in the Get
> File Info item of ResEdit.
>
> Even when the standalone opens the stack, and Metacard itself is not
> running except the embedded portion of the standalone, the icons
> change back to Metacard's.  And the standalone and stack, neither
> have Metacard's icons in the resource fork.
>
> What specifically, needs to be done, to have stacks with custom
> icons?  The stacks are part of the standalone program, mostly to save
> data into, but have other uses as well.
>
> I did not set a new file type for the stacks, as Metacard needs to
> recognize them and treat them as stacks.
>
> Walk me thru it guys, for I am baffled (again :-)
>
> Shari C

Shari,

To set the proper document associations on a Mac, get into ResEdit and study
other documents of other programs.  A littl experimentation should help you
do it in your own.  It takes more than just the Get File/Folder Info part of
ResEdit.

To set the proper document associations with your app, you can follow the
directions in the tip on Ken Ray's web site:

    http://www.sonsothunder.com/devres/metacard/metacard.htm?file004

I'll also include for you, below, what Ken sent me on it.

Good Luck,

Ray Horsley
Developer, LinkIt! Software