Sound

Michael Crawford michael.crawford at stonebow.otago.ac.nz
Sun Oct 6 18:25:01 EDT 2002

>Could someone help me with sound related properties (MacOS 9.1):
>I want to record some voice to a file and then play it.
>This is what I have so far:
>
>record sound file x
>stop recording
>start player 1
>
>but the playback sounds very funny. I know I may have to set some
>recording/playback properties but I know nothing about sound in general.
>Also, can I record to a variable instead of file?
>I wish the archive had a search engine...
>
>Regards, Andu Novac

There  is an article about this at the sons of thunder website:

http://www.sonsothunder.com/index2.htm

Which describes almost exactly the sort of problems you are having
and a potential solution.

This is quoted below:

"> I've wasted a lot of time in the past trying to get QuickTime sound
>  recording working. So before I try again with the latest version of
>MetaCard, has anyone had any success with it?

Seems to work fine here now in 2.4.3. It's a major hack internally,
though, because of bugs in QT recording (we have to always record CD
quality to a QT movie and then use a conversion function to output
the type of file requested).

>  I still get irritating squeeks on my mac and grabled garbage on my
>  windows.

Be sure you're recording to a format that "play audioClip"
understands, which mostly rules out all of the compressed formats QT
can produce. If you must play those, use "play videoClip <file>"
instead. That uses QT, which although much slower and more memory
intensive can play many more formats than the default play command
which uses low-level sound routines in Win32 and MacOS which don't
support compression.

Posted 9/2/2002 by Scott Raney to the MetaCard List "

Michael