MC Book-other ideas

Karl Becker karl at karlbecker.com
Fri Oct 4 12:42:01 EDT 2002

Would a website with a database backend (the guy who made mctools.org,
this would be a great use of those mad database skills ;-) ) be the
best way to work this out, or would simply posting to some email list
be better?  I almost think the email would be easier, since it would be
more in-my-face instead of requiring me to type in some URL.

I also am willing to forward my problems/solutions, as well.  I tend to
think I have a pretty good grasp of this crazy English language, so I'd
be happy to be an editor.  Of course, cutting/editing people's work is
always a touchy subject, so everyone would have to know that all the
editors are simply doing their job if they cut/rearrange an article.
Editing isn't a personal slam, unless you have a mean,
personally-slamming editor!

Karl

On Friday, October 4, 2002, at 12:31  PM, Ray Horsley wrote:

> on 10/4/02 7:17 AM, TBleiler at aol.com at TBleiler at aol.com wrote:
>
>> The fastest way to get such a book would be for members of this list
>> submit their solutions to various challenges to an editor(s). If
>> someone with
>> good writing skills could volunteer to be the editor, that would be
>> great.
>>
>> Another way might be to "write the book" through this list. Many of
>> us would
>> have to do a little work, but that might be more practical than one
>> of us
>> trying to find the time to do a lot of work. To begin, we'd have to
>> come up
>> with a list of chapters; there was a good start in an earlier post.
>> Then,
>> people who "know the answers" could post their solutions. One of the
>> people
>> who understands the content and can write fairly well would have to
>> volunteer
>> to consolidate the solutions into a chapter. They could then post the
>> chapter
>> for review by the members of the list. If this is deemed an
>> inappropriate use
>> of the list, most of the work could be shifted off list. Think of it
>> as open
>> source book writing.
>>
>> Tim Bleiler
>> University at Buffalo
>>

> I think this is a good idea.  I'm certainly willing to forward my own
> problems/solutions to such an effort.
>
> Ray Horsley
> Developer, LinkIt1

Go Bison!