MC book (was Random sounds...)

Richard K. Herz herz at ucsd.edu
Thu Oct 3 13:42:01 EDT 2002

Richard Gaskin wrote:

>> Now all I need is a Metacard equivalent of Danny Goodman's bible "The
>> Complete Hypercard Handbook"!
>>
>> Is there any such tome in existence?
>
> What would you like to see in such a book?

Richard, are you volunteering?  As far as I'm concerned, the MC help covers
commands pretty well.  A big contribution would be a book that shows how
complex things are put together (well, and a couple how to get started
chapters too).

Here are a few chapters from my wish list:

How to communicate over the Internet (FTP, email, etc.)
How to build an "Internet App"
How to write externals
(including documentation of the MC-external interface, and an example in
Fortran as well as C)
How to control and communicate with other applications and the OS from MC
(using shell() to start other programs, getting directory lists, etc.)
How to work with menus cross-platform
How to print
How to work with groups
How to build real-time simulations