Audio CD

FMoyer at aol.com FMoyer at aol.com
Mon Nov 25 11:43:01 EST 2002

Dear Emery:

Did you ever receive any replies to your query about a CD controller? I am
asking because I want to do the same thing.

Incidentally, I asked pretty much the same thing a few months ago. The only
reply is below.

But any news you can give me would be most welcome.

Thanks
Fred

Recently, "FMoyer at aol.com"  wrote:

> Does anyone know how to play audio CDs from within Metacard?
>
> I am trying to put together a Metacard stack that will run in an "enhanced
> CD" which is an audio CD that plays in your stereo, but that has software
> that can run on your Mac or PC. The software portion of my enhanced CD will
> be some Metacard stacks. One of the things I want my stacks to do is play
the
> audio part of the CD, but I can't figure out how to do it. I think I need
> some xcmds/DLLs to do it. I do have "CD Audio Toolkit 1.0," a Hypercard
stack
> with xcmds that Apple put out in 1989. But it crashes my machine, so I think
> it's just too old.

We've used MC for this, but the new system releases have thrown a wrench
into the options.  On Windows you use MCI (see the MCIsendString function),
but I haven't tested this lately on XP.  For MCI reference you can go here:

http://www.tactilemedia.com/info/MCI_Control_Info.html

(Note: this is a 300K document -- give it a second or two to load.)

On MacOS9 and earlier, you need to use XCMDs, but as you've seen, all the
public versions haven't been updated in a long time so getting something
reliable might be tricky.  (On one project, we wound up using SuperCard in
lieu of finding reliable externals.)  On OSX, I have no clue, but
AppleScript might be a possibility.  Perhaps someone else has some other
experience/information.

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director