RE the large file challenge

Sadhunathan Nadesan sadhu at castandcrew.com
Sat Nov 16 16:42:01 EST 2002

| Maybe we need a new name for what Transcript does.
|
| Transcript pre-processes scripts into pointer-based bytecode, which
| generally outperforms purely interpreted xTalk by anywhere from several
| times to a few orders of magnitude.

Maybe?  This is an excellent clarification.   If MC is seen as trying to
compete with Java and Sun has decided to redefine 'compiled' then, hey!
Why not.  Come to think of it they used to call UCSD Pascal compiled
but it was "p-code" possibly similar??

There is an exception, that is, when MC is used as a scripting language
such as cgi scripts, or such as the tests I have been running.  In that
case there is no preprocessing.  In that case, I believe interpreted
would be the correct description.  The good news is, it _still_ compares
in speed to the compiled languages.

For an interesting read on security and high level languages, this is fun:

 http://m.bacarella.com/papers/secsoft/html

Sadhu