Dare I ask??

Alex Rice alex at mindlube.com
Fri Nov 15 11:17:01 EST 2002

On Friday, November 15, 2002, at 02:21  AM, Shari wrote:

> Just curious, how compatible is Jaguar to OSX apps?  They didn't break
> everything again, did they?

Hi. RunRev 1.1.1 seems to work perfectly on Jaguar, except for two bugs
that have easy workarounds. Let me know if you want to know what those
are.

When I upgraded to Jaguar, none of my OS X apps broke. Except 1; the
carbon build of Emacs. It's kind of peculiar case though, and it's a
beta release anyways.

A lot of OS X developers that are working in C or Objective-C are going
to be requiring 10.2 or higher for their next software releases. Apple
added a lot new features and lots of fixes to the Carbon and Cocoa
frameworks and it's not going to be easy to maintain compatibility with
10.0 - 10.1.x. So I recommend to upgrade to 10.2 asap. The good news is
a some of the features added in 10.2 will support much better backwards
compatibility in 10.3, 10.4 etc.

Also the 10.2.2 update broke at least one app I know if (Carbon build
of Emacs) which required a rebuild of that app. Again that's kind of a
peculiar app though.

Alex Rice, Software Developer
alrice at swcp.com
alex_rice at arc.to