Testing on multiple platforms

Byron bstevens at neptune.on.ca
Mon Nov 11 14:27:01 EST 2002

On Monday, November 11, 2002, at 09:33  AM, miscdas at boxfrog.com wrote:

> Shari writes:
>> [snip]
>
>> I have one OS.  Some people have my OS, others do not.
>
>>  Unless you have 5 or 10 computers, you CANNOT test on all OS's. A
>> Window's developer would need at least 4 to test on the various
>> flavours of Windows.  Minimum. A Mac developer would need at least 3.
>>  Minimum. A cross platform developer would need a minimum of 7
>> computers, if you own all the flavours that your program might run
>> on. Shari C
> ========
> [snip] Another method is to have several hard drives in removable
> boxes, each drive a different OS. Then, simply swap drives as needed
> and boot up the required OS.
> Perhaps the Mac world has similar capabilities?

One other possible solution if ultra fast system response is not an
issue...
Virtual PC by Connectix will let you run as many Windows environments
on your Mac as you have disc space and memory...
They may also have a Mac version for windows(?)
I'm now on OSX Jaguar (which helps), with OS9, Win 95, WinXP, Win2000.
Your Mac's processor speed and the version of windows will determine
how fast your virtual machine will run.
http://www.connectix.com.
Byron

Byron Stevens