Testing on multiple platforms

miscdas at boxfrog.com miscdas at boxfrog.com
Mon Nov 11 12:38:01 EST 2002

Shari writes:
>[snip]
>

> I have one OS.  Some people have my OS, others do not.

>  Unless you have 5 or 10 computers, you CANNOT test on all OS's.
>
> A Window's developer would need at least 4 to test on the various flavours of Windows.  Minimum.
>
> A Mac developer would need at least 3.  Minimum.
>
> A cross platform developer would need a minimum of 7 computers, if you own all the flavours that your program might run on.
>
> Shari C
========

Shari,

You need to make a distinction between "computers" and "operating systems".
You can have one computer that runs many flavors of Windows through
different means. For example, Windows has dual-boot option, enabling
installing of a variety of OSs on a single drive, and SELECTION of which OS
to actually boot at startup. Another method is to have several hard drives
in removable boxes, each drive a different OS. Then, simply swap drives as
needed and boot up the required OS.

Perhaps the Mac world has similar capabilities?

So you see, a considerable amount of Mac/Windows cross-platform testing can
be done on as little as only two computers--a Mac and a PC--not the "5 or 10
computers" that you proclaim.

miscdas