Topstack and resumeStack

Shari gypsyware at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 8 02:03:01 EST 2002

>Also, maybe the stack isn't really resuming, so it never gets the
>message. Maybe it is already the topstack, or when the first stack
>is closed, a different one comes to the front instead of the one you
>are expecting. Note that invisible stacks can still be frontmost,
>and the problem is hard to spot when that happens.

I suspect this is the case.  The stack doesn't resume.  I put in a
piece of code to see what other stacks might be open, but the only
open stack is the one I'm expecting.  Perhaps it doesn't suspend,
hence it doesn't resume.  The stack I'm opening, is opened as modal.
I'm going to try opening it as toplevel, and see if that fixes it.

>I don't know if it matters in your case, but there is a difference
>between stacks in use and backscripts. It is subtle but it can
>affect the message hierarchy. Backscripts get their messages after
>the home stack -- which in a standalone, is the main stack you used
>to build the standalone. A stack in use gets its messages *before*
>the home stack as it does in HyperCard. Therefore, if you have a
>handler in the standalone stack and one with the same name in a
>backscript, the one in the backscript will never get the message. If
>the backscript were instead located in a stack in use, the used
>stack would get the message and the handler in the standalone would
>never see it. Make sure your handlers are arranged in the hierarchy
>to accomodate backscripts.

The stack that becomes the standalone has only a couple of startup
handlers in it.  Nothing that would block the code from passing
through.

The moment I click outside the stack and back in it, everything
resets.  The resumeStack handler resets the code, as expected.
Trouble is, how do I script it to go out of this stack, and back in?
Going to other stacks isn't doing it.

I've got a couple more things to try out.  I snuck out of bed so
hopefully I will find success before I tiptoe back in.  Had a flu
shot for the first time and lordy, does that sucker HURT!  Had a
pneumonia shot on the other arm, so I'm sore as all get out.  Very
unexpected.  And keeping me from sleeping.  So here I am :-)

Shari C

--
--Shareware Games for the Mac--
http://www.gypsyware.com