Text files on Windows

Rich Mooney tech at paynesparkman.com
Fri Nov 1 13:15:00 EST 2002

> > open file someFile
> > write something to file someFile
> > close file someFile
> >
> > On a Mac, this creates a generic Simpletext file.
> >
> > What does it create on Windows?  And what Windows programs can open
> > and read it?
>
> Depends on the filename extension:
>
> .txt = NotePad (very basic text editor)
> .wri = WordPad (basic editor with some formatting)
> .doc = Word (full blown editor)

If you double-click on a .doc and don't have Word, the file will open in
Wordpad.
If you double-click on a .txt which is too big to fit in NotePad (>64k I
believe) you will be
offered the opportunity to open it in Wordpad instead.  In Win 2k and I
believe XP,
Notepad doesn't appear to have a size limit.
Personally, I think .txt is your best bet because almost everything can open
a .txt file
if you open the application first then select File>Open, set your Files of
type to Text,
then navigate to your file.  You can also easily import delimited text files
into most
spread sheet apps as long as the first line contains the names of the
columns

Rich Mooney
Payne Sparkman Mfg.
shop at paynesparkman.com