Sending an email message from within MetaCard

Robert Brenstein rjb at rz.uni-potsdam.de
Fri May 31 16:23:00 EDT 2002

>Hello, MetaCard experts.
>
>I have been spending the day researching how I might be able to get a
>MetaCard application to send email messages.  These messages would all go
>to the same address, so the procedure does not need to be flexible.
>
>Among the things I have found is a thread in the MetaCard discussion list
>archive from 21 September of 2000.  This was a posting from Scott Raney on
>one part of the problem (getting an smtp server address from the system or
>the default email client) of sending email from within MetaCard:
>
>Has anyone implemented a system like this?  Is there a better way?  Can
>anyone point me to a model I could follow?
>
>John Kiltinen

I think you will be better of finding the mcmail.mc stack. I am not
sure anymore how I found it but someone on this list recommended it
to me quite a while ago. It sends email by talking to a normal SMTP
server. I have successfully adapted it for a situation similar to
yours. You provide SMTP server address, the destination
address/addresses, subject, and the body of email and it does the
rest.

Robert